LTV | Ethiopia's Modeling competition
Modeling competitions are exciting ways to strut your stuff and make your way into the fashion industry. Many modeling competitions lead to contracts with premier agencies that will take you all over the world! Before applying to a modeling competition, it’s best to prepare as much as you can. With some walking practice and a fresh haircut, you’ll be rocking the runway in no time!
Research the runway details of your competition. Most competitions will have the standard rectangular runway shape. However, some shows and competitions like to get creative with the runway. If possible, find out what this shape will be in advance so you can prepare a few different poses. When in doubt, prepare a few different poses just in case.
- Some runway competitions have a shoe height requirement. Make sure you know about this in advance and bring the proper shoes.
- Do an internet search to find videos of past competitions to get an idea of what you’ll be doing.
Work on your posture. If you walk with a slouch you will make yourself look heavier than you are. Plus, walking with good posture shows off your figure and can make you look weightless as you move. First, straighten your back and your neck. Pull your shoulders back, tuck your stomach in, and lift your chin slightly.
- If you’re having trouble keeping good posture, you may need to see a chiropractor.
- Bear your weight primarily on the balls of your feet if you’re walking in heels.
Perfect your catwalk. Take a step, crossing your leg over your body slightly and keeping your foot pointing forward. Take another step and roll your hips slightly to help you move forward. Balance your weight on your hips by leaning your torso back slightly. Find a flirty rhythm while you walk. If it feels natural, lightly swing your arms and shoulders.
- Relax your face and resist the urge to grin or sing along to the music. A small smile is acceptable.
- Don’t look down as you walk. Keep your chin up and your gaze forward.